Senior Editor - Columbus
The Ledger-Enquirer in Columbus, Ga., is looking for its next senior editor. This leader will be responsible for handling the newsroom’s content, strategy, personnel and experimentation.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable juggling and shifting priorities throughout the day, and not afraid to take a hands-on approach with editing. You’ll also work collaboratively with other editors in our region (across Georgia, Mississippi and the Carolinas) which means having a built-in support system.
This editor will be expected to utilize digital analytics to the newsroom’s benefit while understanding some key nuances. You should be comfortable analyzing story performance, identifying audiences and how we reach them, and collaborating with other teams to distribute that content to multiple platforms.
There also may be times when you need to implement a new initiative or shift strategies within the newsroom. We’re looking for a person who can relay those changes clearly and be a support system for his or her staff throughout that transition.
Lastly, you’ll be the local “face” of the organization at community events or meetings. This person should be excited about forming partnerships with organizations, other leaders and readers across the area.
What will you learn in this job? If you’re looking to gain editor and/or leadership experience in a smaller, exciting market with dedicated journalists, this is the place for you. Being the primary editor means you’ll get lots of line editing, managerial and analytics experience.
Skills & Traits:
- 3-5 years of newsroom experience, with at least 1 year of that being in a leadership role.
- Excellent line editing skills and ability to effectively convey any edits to the reporter.
- Solid news judgment and demonstrated ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable working collaboratively across teams and newsrooms as needed.
- Open to experimenting with news content, tools and platforms.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
The Columbus metro area is home to about 200,000 residents. Our newsroom is located in the downtown area where delicious restaurants, the Chattahoochee River, museums and other entertainment are easily accessible. Atlanta is only a 90 minute drive north and Fort Benning, one of the Army's largest training sites in the country, is 15 minutes south of downtown. Interested in hiking, rafting, biking and other outdoor activities? There's an abundance of choices depending on your skill level. Columbus State University also attracts thousands of students each year.