The George Mason University, Fiscal Services Office of Student Accounts, invites applications for a Collections Specialist. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Collections Specialist, under the direction of the Cashiering and ALM Manager, is tasked with developing and maintaining a program that reduces defaulted student accounts write-off cost by focusing on earlier identification and intervention of “at-risk” accounts prior to the start of the collection process.
- Contacting students to explain Commonwealth of Virginia collection procedures and refer students, when applicable, to other departments for assistance;
- Work independently and make decisions that impact collections within University policies;
- Provide a central point of communication for collection agencies, loan servicers, and internal staff;
- Perform various reconciliations as directed;
- Supports daily, weekly, and monthly operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people at a variety of competency levels;
- Possess clear and precise written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate complex material both in writing and orally;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, concurrent high priority responsibilities in a time-pressured environment;
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Experience working in Accounts Receivable.
- Detailed understanding of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, FERPA, and Account Receivable applications;
- Minimum 3-5 years related work experience in the collection of delinquent accounts;
- Experience in Higher Education and/or Student Accounts.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 03143Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.