The Division of University Life (UL) at George Mason University is seeking interested and qualified candidates for the position of Web Designer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. This position reports directly to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communication.
About the Department:
The mission of University Life’s (UL) Marketing and Communications is to position UL at the center of an engaged campus community through dynamic, innovative, and purposeful marketing campaigns. Provide audience insight and define success using evidence-based metrics and analytics. Improve efficiency by implementing new technologies and promoting a common approach to marketing and communications. Strengthen alliances both within UL and between UL and campus culture by devising and executing targeted communications plans and creating connections through collaborative communication efforts.
- Manages the design and maintenance of modern, responsive, and accessible websites;
- Leverages Mason’s web templates and develops strategy for component reuse across unit websites, drawing from experience and expertise with WordPress;
- Works collaboratively with the UL Marketing and Communications team and relevant partner units/stakeholders to plan and prioritize design;
- Interacts directly with University Life units to determine requirements and create well-designed websites;
- Clearly communicates design concepts with UL Marketing and Communications team and external stakeholders via mockups and wireframes;
- Analyzes site layouts, structures, and navigation systems to optimize the user experience;
- Writes web documentation, including procedures, best practices, and style guides;
- Builds and maintains website CMS components, forms, and other site integration features;
- Supports Web Applications Analyst in developing and maintaining ongoing training programs that enable stakeholder units to maintain and update website content;
- Adheres to university branding requirements and maintain consistent branding across University Life units’ websites;
- Stays current with the latest web design trends; and
- Assists the marketing and communications team with other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in design, marketing, business, communication, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience with some (generally 2 years’) experience with demonstrated success in web management;
- Demonstrated experience creating website structure, organizing webpage content, and designing webpage layouts;
- Demonstrated ability to apply modern web design concepts, such as responsive design, content-first design, usability and accessibility;
- Proficiency with CSS and HTML;
- Experience with responsive and user interface design;
- Experience using content management systems (CMS) (WordPress or Drupal);
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud including Illustrator and PhotoShop with a strong ability to create mockups, wireframes, and other graphics as needed;
- Knowledge of Web accessibility and usability/user-experience (UX), and internet trends;
- Working knowledge of any web analytics application (Google Analytics preferred);
- Demonstrated interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills;
- Experience managing multiple projects with strong coordination skills in a deadline-driven environment; and
- High attention to detail.
- Multimedia design experience, including animation and editing for video and audio;
- Working knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization);
- Experience writing website content; and
- Experience with a shared or centralized in-house marketing service.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Please also submit a web designer portfolio or a link to a portfolio.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.