Business Advisor (Educational Program Administrator) -
Business Advisor (Educational Program Administrator)
The Connecticut Small Business Development Center (CTSBDC) is seeking a full-time Business Advisor (Educational Program Administrator). The incumbent will report to the CTSBD Associate Director and will provide counseling through one-on-one and group advising and participate in learning and training programs to assist and support small business owners and entrepreneurs on a wide range of business topics. This position will act as a consultant, advocate, and liaison for all CTSBDC services and resources. The incumbent will be expected to be knowledgeable about and have experience either with advising on or addressing in a professional capacity such topics as: launching and scaling small business growth, new product development, equity and debt financing, financial management, business technology, and the infrastructure required to assure capacity for growth, market research; marketing strategies including social media and digital marketing techniques; operational team development, business governance, organizational development, and business analysis/business process improvement. In addition, the incumbent should have a general knowledge of veterans’, women's, and minority business issues; federal, state, and local resources for business; licensing and permitting regulations; government procurement certification; and general patent and trademark issues. In-state and out-of-state travel, as well as flexible hours, will be required.
The primary work location is flexible and will be dependent upon the candidate selected. The incumbent will be assigned to either a location in southern Connecticut or the CTSBDC Lead Office in East Hartford. In-state and out-of-state travel, as well as flexible hours, will be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Providing technical and management assistance to the small business community in the form of one-on-one counseling and group advising and training sessions; through in-person visits or virtual meetings using MS Teams, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Zoom, and Skype; or through email, phone, or other management-approved methods of client contact.
- Providing in-depth counseling and recommending courses of action to small business owners or to those about to start a business in such areas as business model and business plan development, market research, market definition and customer segmentation, customer acquisition strategies, marketing strategies and planning, initial, startup, growth and exit financing, assessment of financing options, industry-specific federal and state regulations, financial management including cash budgeting, operational issues, evaluating and selecting business operational systems such as bookkeeping, payroll, inventory, and customer database, contracting and procurement, business operational infrastructure, information technology, export/international trade, general understanding of organizational issues related to business structure; federal, state and local resources for pre-launch and young businesses; and veterans’, women’s, and minority business issues, and general business and related topics.
- Providing the ability and capacity to offer reasoned, logical advice and guidance on all matters of starting, building, and sustaining a business or community-impactful organization in Connecticut, including general knowledge of license and regulatory requirements, state and local registration requirements, and public and privately supported resources for business and how they are accessed.
- Assisting clients in developing and recording their business concepts and launch strategies and using industry tools such as the Business Model Canvas and business plan outlines; providing referrals to online and in-person courses and workshops for further learning.
- Maintaining and enhancing the ability and capacity to offer reasoned, logical advice and guidance on all matters of starting, building, and sustaining a business including a thorough knowledge of business strategy, trends, and best practices, supported by regular participation in professional development and learning on appropriate topics and skills.
- Demonstrating effectiveness working as a member of a team. Has the ability to leverage information and guidance from other CTSBDC advisors, host University resources, and online resources to support client counseling, and refer clients to other public and privately provided technical assistance and resources.
- Building, maintaining, and leveraging relationships within the general business community and the financing community, by participating in events and representing CTSBDC at group and individual meetings.
- Working to ensure CTSBDC achieves its annual programmatic goals set by its principal funders. Working to ensure compliance with all operational and policy requirements of CTSBDC’s host University.
- Conducting community outreach, client development, informational, training programs, and other activities to expand CTSBDC’s client base. Assisting in making all necessary arrangements for such programs including locating facilities, developing or delivering training materials or equipment, identifying and securing speakers and participants, and following up to ensure stated schedules and commitments are met.
- Working to meet or exceed CTSBDC program operational and performance objectives, including responding to client requests within two business days and meeting with a client in less than two weeks of the client’s initial registration.
- In consultation with program management, building and leveraging community and stakeholder organizations and relationships to achieve programmatic goals and advance CTSBDC’s mission.
- Performing necessary administrative duties such as recording correspondence, progress and summary reports, and client session notes in the program’s CRM database; assures accuracy of client profile data, and ensures all other data required and utilized by program funders is collected and maintained.
- Adhering to program objectives for counseling hours provided and assuring timely recording of effort in the CRM database.
- At the discretion, request, or direction of management, participating in the national America’s SBDC and the New England SBDCs’ annual professional development conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing and communications, psychology, counseling, or a related field.
- At least four years of experience in a business or client service organization serving businesses or organizations. Strong knowledge of general business strategies and operations. One year of experience must be serving as an advanced team member.
- Demonstrated experience advising on marketing strategy, market research, business financial management, operations, and customer acquisition strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated ability to understand financial condition from review of statements and other information; ability to analyze business plans.
- Ability to advise, counsel, and mentor individuals from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and economic situations.
- Ability to plan, conduct, and implement client development and recruitment programs.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and accurately, taking initiative, exercising sound judgment when making decisions, and meeting deadlines.
- Proven experience contributing to the success of a team and working well with team members; experience achieving goals/metrics.
- Demonstrated proficiency with digital communications, online meeting tools, online learning methods, and online research resources.
- Demonstrated excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Dependable transportation and willingness and ability to work flexible hours and travel in-state and out-of-state.
- Master’s degree in business, marketing, communications, or a related field.
- Experience launching a start-up business, or assisting others in starting new businesses.
- Demonstrated experience working in business operations, business infrastructure, and e-commerce.
- Experience working with web-based client data tracking systems.
- Experience with preparing and analyzing lending applications or funding proposals.
This is a 12-month, end-date, annually renewable position with excellent benefits. The salary range for this position is $69,000 to $72,500, depending on education, qualifications and experience. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #498180 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on February 14, 2024.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
All members of the University of Connecticut are expected to exhibit appreciation of, and contribute to, an inclusive, respectful, and diverse environment for the University community.
The University of Connecticut aspires to create a community built on collaboration and belonging and has actively sought to create an inclusive culture within the workforce. The success of the University is dependent on the willingness of our diverse employee and student populations to share their rich perspectives and backgrounds in a respectful manner. This makes it essential for each member of our community to feel secure and welcomed and to thoroughly understand and believe that their ideas are respected by all. We strongly respect each individual employee’s unique experiences and perspectives and encourage all members of the community to do the same. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The University of Connecticut is an AA/EEO Employer.